Hyppää pääsisältöön

Here you'll find information about all the buildings of the local heritage society of Vihanti.

The museum

The first building of the local heritage society is a granary originating from the 1860s which has been a museum since 1948. This was before the outdoor museum area was formed near Kirkkojärvi lake. The museum presents a variety of rural, pastoral and prehistoric items.

The museum is open on summer Sundays from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Otherwise open by appointment. Entry fee is 1 €. The museum is located next to the church in Onnelantie 6.


The first building in the museum area by the like is Mikkelänkantti (Mikkelä's house) that was relocated there in 1981. The house was originally built in the village of Lumimetsä in 1845. The Lions Club of Vihanti bought the building in the mid 1970s and donated the building to the local heritage society. Mikkelänkantti is a museum building furnished to resemble a house in Vihanti from the beginning of the 20th century.


Hietalankantti was originally built in 1938 in the village of Alpua. It was moved to Vihanti by Jaakko Kotila and later it became the property of the cooperative store Arina which donated it to the local heritage society. After lots of building work and renovation Hietalankantti was ready for meetings and parties in 1989.


Uhtuankantti is an interesting example of Finnish history from the 20th century. The logs were hewn in the war zone in the 1940s and the house was then assembled in the village of Alpua near Vihanti. The soldiers made these buildings for war-widows. In 1989 the building was donated to the society and moved to Vihanti by truck and has served in meeting, party and accommodation use ever since.


Moved to the current site and extensively rebuilt in 2004, the Ukko-Pekka was originally a railroad worker's house next to the train station of Vihanti. The name Ukko-Pekka stems from a famous steam locomotive. Ukko-Pekka has a large ballroom, a wood-burning sauna and an extensive kitchen suitable for larger events, too. There are two bedrooms upstairs.


In a central location in Vihanti, Saarankantti offers facilities for accommodation and all sorts of gatherings. Originally the house was a summer villa built at the turn of the 19th and 20th century. The name Saara stems from a former resident Saara Strömmer.

Saarankantti has a studio apartment upstairs and spacious rooms on the ground floor. There are also a kitchen and a sauna.